NBA Betting: Your Ultimate Guide on How to Bet on Basketball
If you’re a Filipino sports fan who’s curious about how NBA betting works and how to bet on NBA games, read on.
It’s undebatable. Filipino sports fans love basketball the most.
The National Basketball Association (NBA) is touted as one of the biggest markets for placing bets in the Philippines. Notorious players like Kobe Bryant, Stephen Curry and Michael Jordan have propelled the game to new heights in the last decades.
When it comes to wagering, NBA betting sites were among those which claimed the largest boom since online betting markets hit the mainstream scene.
NBA Betting: Understanding the NBA betting odds
While winning money on NBA betting could be challenging, knowing the odds is a must to get a foot in the door.
NBA betting odds are displayed in three popular formats. These are:
- Decimal odds. They are usually shown using two decimal places, displaying exactly how much a winning bettor will return per unit staked.
- Fractional odds. One of the most commonly used NBA betting odds, this scheme shows the ratio of the amount (profit) won to the stake.
- Moneyline odds. In this scheme, payout will be commensurate with the odds. For instance, +150 odds indicate how much money you would win if you bet $100. If the Boston Celtics have +150 moneyline odds and you bet $100, you would get a payout of $250. On the other hand, a negative money line represents the amount that you would have to bet to win $100 if you were correct.
In order to experience a great NBA betting adventure, you need to understand the difference between odds and probability.
While they are linked, odds do not necessarily point to the chances of something happening.
In probability, on the other hand, bettors and sportsbooks are going to have different NBA betting predictions on the likely outcome of a game.
Being successful in NBA betting is largely dependent on making precise assessments about the probability of an outcome, and then understanding if the odds of that outcome make a bet worthwhile.
To make NBA betting predictions substantiated, it is important to understand implied probability, which is what the odds suggest the chances of any given outcome happening are.
NBA online betting
With the changing times, fans have turned to online platforms to catch sites for NBA live streaming and wager.
Why? For many sports fans, NBA betting online comes with ease. You can bet wherever you want, whether at home or in the office.
It’s easy to look for sites for NBA live streaming while you’re on a vacation abroad, and place a wager while drinking a beer.
The most popular NBA teams are the Los Angeles Lakers and the Chicago Bulls, making them the top teams to bet on as well.
Types of NBA Betting Markets
Betting options and NBA betting markets have increased sharply since the advent of NBA online betting.
These are some of the most common ways to bet on the NBA:
- Handicap betting. Also called line betting, you wager on whether a team will cover a point spread set by the bookmaker. In the NBA betting lines, the favorite must win by more than the set number of points, while the underdog must win or lose by less than the spread.
- Totals (Over/Unders). You bet on the total number of points that will be scored in a game. It is either under or over a total set by sportsbooks. For example, if the total is set at 210.5 between the Miami Heat and the Los Angeles Lakers, if you bet over, then it means the totals will be over 210.5.
- Moneylines. Here, you pick a winner. The NBA betting lines will be designated by a negative or positive number. The team with odds that have a negative number is the favorite; the positive number is the underdog.
- Futures. You bet on future events, such as the winner of the NBA Finals, or how many games a team will win in the regular season.
- Props. Prop wagers are usually of the yes-or-no kind, such as whether Stephen Curry will score more than 35 points in a game, or if Kyrie Irving will have more than 10 rebounds.
- Parlay. It is a wager that includes more than one event. It can either be a single event or multiple ones. For example, you can bet on the Miami Heat to win as well as on the total score.
NBA Live Betting
A live bet is a bet that you can place after an event has already started. Bookmakers will constantly alter their odds, which depends on how the match is playing out.
NBA live betting is not just for those who came late to place their bets before the actual game. It’s usually preferred by many bettors who would choose to wait to place their bets because they want to watch basketball NBA live to witness the game flow.
In live betting, timing is crucial. Some bookmakers make updates on their live odds after every basket or missed shot.
If you want to dive into basketball NBA live betting, it is best to track a sportsbook’s live bets on their NBA betting apps or on their odds boards in person. This way, you will have a grasp of just how quickly the odds can change.
Best NBA Betting Sites
Selecting the right NBA sports betting site is crucial to boosting your betting experience.
The truth is, there are hundreds of real money betting sites every year and choosing the best sites might be challenging.
However, your online betting site must meet these requirements:
- The site is properly licensed to offer regulated and legal online sports betting.
- The site is owned and managed by reputable operators.
- The site is trusted and demonstrably safe for bettors.
However, these are just the minimum.
You should also choose a betting site that offers the best odds, secure and fast payouts when you win, and a large number of special betting offers, promotions and bonuses.
Pick a bookmaker that offers an impressive list of betting markets, so you get plenty of options while exploring the NBA betting scene.
How to bet on NBA games
Finally, you are now ready to dive into NBA online betting. We’ve gathered some NBA betting tips and a quick step-by-step guide to help you:
- Choose a good sportsbook. While scams abound online, make sure to find a reputable sports betting site.
- Make the most out of signup bonuses. You can receive bonuses on the amount of cash you deposit. Use your NBA bets to earn the bonus payout.
- Make a deposit. After picking an NBA sports betting site, deposit money through credit or debit cards, Paypal, or via cryptocurrencies.
- NBA Betting Lines Shopping. Take your time to shop at other online bookmakers. If you like a line at a sportsbook, check if you can look for another one with a better one.
- Place your bet. You already have your line. Now, you’re ready to place your bet.
You can find more about NBA betting strategy and different guides on our website, like the one explaining how to bet on football.